Welcome to the Year 6 Homepage
Welcome to the Autumn Term
Revolution and Revelations
We hope that you have had a restful and enjoyable Summer and would like to welcome you back to the Autumn term at Montgomerie!
Once we have completed our start of term activities, we will be beginning our Autumn term topic entitled 'Revolution and revelations ' where we will learn all about the Victorian Era. We will investigate the scope of the British Empire and discuss the implications of being a part of it; plan, design and make recipes associated withthat period of time; learn about the style of a key Victorian artist; and study key changes to society during that time. In Science, we will be completing a unit of work on Evolution and another one on Classification. E-safety will continue to be our priority in ICT, however we will also be using ICT to support our learning in other subjects. We will be reading 'Brightstorm' by Vashti Hardy in our Active Read sessions.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS/CARERS:
- Please ensure ALL items of uniform including coats, shoes, water bottles and lunch boxes are clearly named.
- Children must come to school wearing their P.E kit on their P.E days. For Year 6, these will be on a Monday and Friday for the Autumn Term. Please remember, children need to have removed earrings prior to coming to school on these days and wear suitable PE kit for colder days, as we will be trying to go outside as much as possible.
- Children are required to bring in their reading journal, reading book and Homework journal each day.
- Your child's lunchbox and water bottles must be wipeable.
Extended Learning Expectations
- Reading and recording in journals - the minimum expectation for year 6 children is for 20 minutes, five times per week, with the aim of becoming a Star Reader. Children should be writing their own reading comments in journals as well as parents/carers.
- Spellings: 10 words weekly- need to be practised regularly in the Homework journal
- Any other homework will be given out every Friday or on SATs Companion. Homework tasks must be completed by the following Wednesday.
If you need to speak to a teacher, appointments for a mutually convenient time can be made via the office. Alternatively, email firstname.lastname@example.org
We are very much looking forward to a great term!
Parent Guide to Year 6 (Powerpoint from Meet the Teacher Meeting)