Welcome to Year 2 Autumn Term
This term our theme is 'Inspirational People' where we will be learning about some of our school ambassadors - Marie Curie, Martin Luther King, Emmeline Pankhurst and The Royals. We will be exploring their lives and learning about why they are inspirational.
Our focus for English will be based around the texts 'Jim and the Beanstalk' looking at retelling stories and making comparisons to Jack and the Beanstalk, as well as looking at the text 'Wolves' by Emily Gravett focusing on captions, information writing and character descriptions to write a non-chronological report. We will practise learning sounds and words for phonics to support our reading and continue to use our knowledge of different aspects of grammar, punctuation and spelling to support our writing. For the second half of Autumn term, our Active Read text will be 'The Snow Queen'.
In Maths, we will practise our arithmetic skills and learn about numbers to 100, addition and subtraction, money and multiplication and division.
In Science, we will be learning out about animals including humans relating to diet and health. We will find out about what animals and humans need to survive, food chains, the importance of nutrition for humans and how to keep healthy. In Geography, we will be learning about oceans and exploring human form in art. In RE we will focus on special people, symbols and objects. In Music, we will be learning about orchestral instruments and online safety, creating pictures and coding in ICT.
Children have access to Times Table Rockstars, Purple Mash and Spelling Shed to support the skills we have learnt in school.
Children are encouraged to read at least 5 times a week at home. Planners will be collected in each Thursday to see who have been our star readers. Here's a list of websites that you can access for online books:
- Children can change their book every day.
- Homework for Maths, GPS and Lucky Listeners will be set each Monday. Please ensure homework books are handed in the following week.
- Spellings will be set each Thursday with a spelling test carried out on the same day.
- PE days are on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Please remember to wear your PE kit to school, remove earrings and have long hair tied back.
- Please ensure that all items of clothing, water bottles and lunchboxes are clearly named.
- If you need to speak me, you can contact me using our class email - email@example.com
Here's looking forward to a great term.