Welcome to Year 2 Summer term
Our theme this term is 'Ready, Steady, Grow!' where we will be finding out lots of interesting things about plants. We will be learning about germination and how seeds are dispersed, as well as look at plants we eat and the life cycle of a plant. We will be planning and carrying out different investigations using beans and cress, including hydroponics. We will also learn about the natural historian, David Attenborough and his work on Planet Earth. We will use the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh to inspire painting our own flowers and make observational drawings to help us.
In English, we will be looking at stories, fact files and recounts, and in Maths, we will be learning about fractions, position and direction, time, weight, volume and temperature.
In addition in May, the children will be carrying out their SATs so we will be continually practising English skills including Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation.
- Children are encouraged to read at least 5 times a week - Planners will be checked on a Monday
- Lucky Listeners reading task will be set every Friday
- Spellings will be set every Friday and a spelling test will be carried out every Friday
- Blast off Maths will be carried out on a Tuesday so children are encouraged to practise throughout the week
- Children are encouraged to use Timestable Rockstar and Spelling Shed throughout the week
Please ensure that planners are in school every day, spelling journals are in school on Fridays and Lucky Listener sheets are returned on a Friday too.
PE kits should be in school every day.
PE lessons this term will be on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Children will need to remove their own earrings or ensure they are taken out before school on those days.
Here's to all the new learning and fun we will have!