Welcome to Year 2 Summer Term
This term our theme is 'Explorers' where we will be learning about Captain Robert Falcon Scott, Christopher Columbus and Neil Armstrong. We will also be looking at continents, biomes and habitats from around the world.
Our focus for English will be based around the texts 'The Dragon Machine' by Helen Ward and 'The Boy who Grew Dragons' by Andy Shepherd. We will be looking at stories, letters, posters, explanation texts and poems. We will also design and make our own dragon. We will continue to practise learning sounds and words for phonics to support our reading and use our knowledge of different aspects of grammar, punctuation and spelling to support our writing.
In Maths, we will practise our arithmetic skills and learn about problem solving and efficient methods, length and height, properties of shape, position and direction, time, weight, volume and temperature.
In Music, we will be finding out about folk songs and add actions and In ICT our focus is word processing and scratch.
Children have access to Times Table Rockstars, Purple Mash and Spelling Shed to support the skills we have learnt in school.
Children are encouraged to read at least 5 times a week at home. Planners will be collected in each Thursday to see who have been our star readers. Here's a list of websites that you can access for online books:
- Children can change their book every day.
- Homework for Maths, GPS and Lucky Listeners will be set each Friday and will be in due in the following Wednesday.
- Spellings will be set each Thursday with a spelling test carried out on the same day.
- PE days are on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Please remember to wear your PE kit to school, remove earrings and have long hair tied back.
- Please ensure that all items of clothing, water bottles and lunchboxes are clearly named.
- If you need to speak me, you can contact me using our class email - email@example.com
Here's looking forward to a great term.