Welcome to Year 2 Spring Term
This term our theme is 'Clever Constructions' where we will be learning about different buildings around the world including the Taj Mahal, Sydney Opera House and Houses of Parliament. We will also be making comparisons between where we live and Serrenkunda in Africa.
Our focus for English will be based around the text 'The Minpins' by Roald Dahl looking at posters, character and setting descriptions as well as story writing. We will also make our own creature character using pivots and levers. We will learn the poem 'The Owl and the Pussy Cat' which will help us to create letters, lists and rhyming posters. We will continue to practise learning sounds and words for phonics to support our reading and use our knowledge of different aspects of grammar, punctuation and spelling to support our writing. Our Active Read text this term is 'The BFG.'
In Maths, we will practise our arithmetic skills and learn about money, multiplication and division, statistics and Length and Height.
We will be learning about everyday materials in Science including their uses and properties, and investigating how they can change.
In Music, we will be finding out about dynamics, timbre and melody, and will create group compositions. In ICT our focus is coding.
Children have access to Times Table Rockstars, Purple Mash and Spelling Shed to support the skills we have learnt in school.
Children are encouraged to read at least 5 times a week at home. Planners will be collected in each Thursday to see who have been our star readers. Here's a list of websites that you can access for online books:
- Children can change their book every day.
- Homework for Maths, GPS and Lucky Listeners will be set each Friday and will be in due in the following Wednesday.
- Spellings will be set each Thursday with a spelling test carried out on the same day.
- PE days are on a Tuesday and Wednesday. Please remember to wear your PE kit to school, remove earrings and have long hair tied back.
- Please ensure that all items of clothing, water bottles and lunchboxes are clearly named.
- If you need to speak me, you can contact me using our class email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Here's looking forward to a great term.