Welcome back and welcome to Year 1! We hope you have had a wonderful summer break and are looking forward to the exciting things ahead!
There are quite a few changes when moving from Foundation Stage to Year 1. We will be having our 'Meet the teacher' meeting on Wednesday 18th September where we will go through some of these changes and give further details about Year 1, however if you do have any questions or queries before then please feel free to ask.
The first couple of weeks back we will be looking at friendship, teamwork and resilience. We will be focusing on the story of 'The Rainbow Fish'and will be introducing two of our class ambassadors; Jonnie Peacock and Dr Barnardo. In Maths we will be focusing on number and place value. In English we will be focusing on extending our Phonics knowledge, handwriting and poetry.
Each term we have a theme and the majority of our learning will be to do with this theme. For the main part of the Autumn term our theme will be 'Our Kingdom'. We will be looking at the Geography of the United Kingdom, studying castles in History and looking at the weather and seasonal changes in Science. In English we will be continuing to extend our Phonics knowledge, read and explore a variety of fairy stories, look at sentence structure and write our own fairy story. In Maths we will continue to look at number and place value and will be exploring addition and subtraction.
Towards the end of the Autumn term we will be exploring all things Christmas! More details of this will be provided nearer the time.
On the classroom door we have 'Parent Notices'. Please refer to this for little notices and reminders throughout the year.
- Please ensure PE kits are in school every day and all earrings are removed on PE days. Our PE days are Monday and Wednesday.
- All children need to have a coat in school every day just in case the weather turns chilly again.
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle with them every day.
- Homework will continue to be set on a Friday and due on a Wednesday. Please ensure your child is reading the required number of times at home and these reads are recorded in their planners. Please also ensure that they are regularly completing their homework as this will aid their progress.
- All hair that can be tied back needs to be tied back everyday.
- Please ensure ALL clothes, bags etc are clearly labeled with your child's name.
If you have any queries or concerns then please feel free to speak to us or make an appointment with the office.
Thank you for your support and we look forward to an exciting Autumn term.
Miss Carter and Mrs Drewer