Welcome back and I hope you all had an amazing Christmas! Thank you so much for your wonderful Christmas presents, they were lovely and very generous!
We have a new topic for this half term - London's Burning! As part of this topic we will be recapping locating England and London on a map in Geography, studying The Great Fire of London in History and looking at Everyday Materials in Science. In English we will be continuing to extend our Phonics knowledge and begin to familiarise ourselves with Alien words, continue to look at sentence structure and write our own diary entry and newspaper article. In Maths we will be exploring addition and subtraction within 50 and looking at units of measure.
On the classroom door we have 'Parent Notices'. Please refer to this for little notices and reminders throughout the year.
- Please ensure PE kits are in school every day and all earrings are removed on PE days. Our PE days are subject to change due to the building work but our main PE day will be a Thursday.
- All children need to have a coat in school every day.
- Please ensure your child has a water bottle with them every day and that they only have water.
- Homework will continue to be set on a Friday and due on a Wednesday. Please ensure your child is reading 5 times at home and that these reads are recorded in their planners. Planners will be checked on a Thursday. Please also ensure that they are regularly completing their homework as this will aid their progress.
- All hair that can be tied back needs to be tied back everyday.
- Please ensure ALL clothes, bags etc are clearly labeled with your child's name.
In addition to our current homework I will now be setting weekly spellings. The children will be put into groups and have spellings set for them accordingly. The spellings will be set based on the spelling rules we are looking at in class, the Year 1 Common Exception Words and the sounds we will be looking at in phonics. The children will be given their spellings on a Friday and will be tested on them the following Thursday. I will give more details of this when I set the first week of spellings.
We will also be sending home logins for Numbots soon. This is a similar program to TT Rockstar (which you may be familiar with if you have a child in higher year groups) and will aid the children with their number bonds. As soon as we have looked at the program in ICT lessons, I will start setting activities for the children to complete at home. Again I will send out more details when I set the first activities.
If you have any queries or concerns then please feel free to speak to me or make an appointment with the office.
Thank you for your support and I look forward to an exciting Spring term.